Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Faster than the speed of Time

The month of December is always a festive time of year.  Everywhere you look you're reminded that Christmas is around the corner.  Whether its a hardcore display of lights on your neighbors front lawn, or another commercial reminding us that every kiss begins with spending a shit load of money, its impossible to avoid.  It's also a reminder that another year is beginning to wrap up.  The Holiday season comes to its epic climax as the clock strikes midnight on January 1st.  We all joyfully toast our drinks, wussfully kiss our significant other and celebrate the fact that we've all made it through another calender year in one piece.  Later on that morning everyone wakes up in their post holiday fog.  On top of the fact that the christmas cookies are gone, a lot of us are all hung over and slowly coming to the conclusion that the holiday season is over... back to school, work and really starting to get pissed off at Winter.

This will be the year we turn the pages on 2011 and enter 2012.  The most talked about year since Y2K.  It will be another year filled with speculation concerning the end of the world.  I'm sure by the time December 21st rolls around you'll be so fucking tired of the doomsday media coverage and Discovery Channel specials that you'll welcome the end of the world with open arms.  
Time for some s'mores!!
For me, not only does 2012 signal the potential end of the world, it's also the 10 year anniversary of when I graduated high school.  I've grown from a timid 18 year old kid unsure of what the future holds to a much wiser confident (almost) 28 year old dude that's still unsure what the future holds.  It can be really fucking mind blowing to see and hear about people I went to school with settling down with a career, getting married and having kids.  While it's something I would certainly love to do at some point down the road, the thought of starting a family is still pretty intimidating.  I still feel I'm not even CLOSE to ready.  No more sleeping in, puffing on the god given herb in the middle of the day, or leaving the house whenever you want.  Life is all about changes.  As a kid you're always changing grade levels, changing clothing and shoe sizes.  As a young adult your body changes, you go from a little boy or girl, to a jacked stud or a smoking hot babe.  All of the sudden you're shaving areas that you only saw your mom and dad shave as a little kid.  You're voice starts cracking and getting deeper, next thing you know you're taking the girl that use to chase you on the playground to your senior prom.  

Some of you graduated High School knowing exactly what you wanted in life.  You went to college to make it happen and along the way you met a girl or guy that you fell in love with and got married.  Before you knew it, you were paying a mortgage and having kids... holy shit... out of all the changes that have taken place, having a kid takes the fucking cake    
Hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars will be needed out of  your pocket for the next 20+ years!
When I was a young child I always assumed that things would always be the way they were for the rest of my life.   I had yet to come to the realization that the older I got the more things change.  Even though it seemed like childhood flew by I always remember thinking "When the fuck am I gonna be old enough to do shit on my own?  Being a kid takes fucking forever!  FUCK!! I DON'T WANNA GO TO BED ITS STILL LIGHT OUT!"  I was always told fairy tails by my parents about eventually growing up to be an adult. I would some day have my own job, my own house and if I'm lucky my own family.  I would always believe that to some degree, but at the same time would not really think about it.  When I did think about it never phased me. "Pfft, I'm 8 and that shit did not happen to my Parents until they were in their 30's.. I won't be in my 30's for at least another 50 years."

Now hear I am 20 years later.  I'm in a brand new surrounding, taking it one day at a time.  While I'm still a single dude in right smack dab in the middle of life's adventures and only a few of those changes that my parents talked about have taken place, it has certainly become clear to me that no matter what I end up doing with my life, time will always be moving and life will always be changing.  It may not always move as smooth as I would like it to, but that's life.  As far as I'm concerned I was dealt a pretty half decent hand.  I always remind myself that no matter how rough things can be, someone out there has it a lot worse than I do and unlike me.. they would welcome the end of the world with open arms.      

No comments:

Post a Comment