Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Best Friend who Followed me Home, Chapter 2 - A Father Outnumbered

Cats are not as stupid as a lot of people think.  While they may be dumb enough to mess with a skunk and play chicken in the road with passing cars, they are smart enough to know when to look cute and how to melt your heart.  Especially when it's a desperate kitten fighting for survival.  Not only did he have the benefit of being a kitten that was cuter than anything you had ever seen before, but he was hamming it up big time.  He was constantly rubbing up against our legs and when I bent over to pet him he jumped up in my lap as if to say "YOU'RE ALL I FUCKING HAVE!"  I can still hear my Dad's words to this day..
"I just don't know what to do... I don't know what to do with this Cat.."  The little guy had clearly made an impression on him.  Even if my Dad had no intentions of keeping him, he was not going to leave him on the side of the road.

If we had hearts of stone and wanted to leave him behind we would not have been able to.  While we had been walking around the area trying to figure out what to do, we were noticing that where ever we went, he was right on our heals not letting us out of his sight.  So without even picking him up we started the walk home wondering if he would follow.  It was as if he was a well trained show dog.  When we sped up, he would speed up, if we slowed down, he would slow down, if we stopped he would stop.  No matter how many people we passed on the street the kitten stayed with us.  People passing by or observing from their yards could not believe it, each one of them disappointing my Dad even more when they told them they had no idea where the kitten had come from.

My younger Brother and Mom along with our other cat Cassie were all surprised to see a kitten at our heals when we walked up the driveway to our house.  My Brother and Mom reacted with the same enthusiasm that I had.  The kitten saw this as a chance to improve his chances of staying and doubled his outpouring of affection and love.  It was then my Dad realized he was out numbered.  Even though Cassie shared his disapproval, it was still two against one.  It would be worse for Cassie, because now she had to play Mom to some snot nosed punk kitten that she did not even want.

The kitten was not ours yet though.  My mom had talked my Dad out of dropping him off at the Animal Shelter with the 50 other cats that had yet to find homes.  However, my Dad still wanted to make sure the kitten did not have an owner that was looking for him and took out an add in the lost and found section of the paper.  The add would run for 3 days, if no one claimed him within those three days the kitten would be ours.  Until then, he was to stay outside on the front porch and not come in the house.  For the kitten it was definitely a better situation then the side of the road.  He had a little food dish some water and a new friend to keep him company as he and I would both spend the next 3 days hanging out on the porch getting to know each other, praying that no one would call.        

No comments:

Post a Comment